Monday, September 3, 2007

Vicente's: Restaurant Review

On Saturday night, a group of us )Stacey, Jean, Jim, Rachel, & myself) went to this relatively new Cuban place in Detroit, Vicente's. Stacey heard about it from someone at the pool while discussing good places to get Sangria. As it turns out, Vicente's may be the best place to get Sangria. I'm not a huge fan, but it was fantastic. The live music & dancing was really cool too. (Aside from the fact that the guitarist was some hippie dude who kept slipping "Stairway to Heaven" [& a little bit of "El Condor Pasa"] in every chance he got.) The women leading the Flamenco dancing were really good. They seemed like a mother/daughter team, of which the daughter half was really cute. While the entertainment and booze were great (I also tried a mojito & learned they could get deadly since they're so easy to drink), the decor left something to be desired. I was expecting a sort of art-deco, 1930s Havana feel, but it was oddly plain (aside from the fish tank & the big Cuban flag). In a place like that, atmosphere seems important, but they missed the mark a bit. As far as the food goes, it's very good. I had some sort of seafood platter (for those of you not in the know, I occasionally stray from my vegetarianism & eat a little seafood on special occasions) which features lobster, jumbo shrimp, mussels, & a clam. It was all well cooked, but the sauce was a little bland. Everyone else seemed to enjoy their stuff too. It was a little pricey though for what it was. A few dollars less for a meal & I'd go back all the time. I would certainly recommend it though; it was a fun night out w/ great friends & a cuisine w/ which I wasn't very familiar.

No comments: