Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Killer of Fish

My brother went to Kobe, Japan for a week & a half a couple weeks ago to spend time w/ a lovely lady he knows & also just to see the sights. He also went to the Holocaust Museum in Hiroshima, which, as it turns out, is a place to which he would never go back. He said it was the most horrific experience of his life. Check out the link though. You can watch a little anime video about a kid who died in the bombing. So that's pretty sweet. While he was gone, I spent the week feeding his fish & his cats, Smokey & the Bandit. That went fine & he then trusted me to do the same when he was out of town for work last week... big mistake.

When he came home, he talked up the trip to my sister and her husband, & now they are moving to Japan for a year to teach English. That should be pretty cool for them. the program through which they're going in connected w/ the school where she just finished subbing & so this will keep her in the district until next year when the main art teacher retires. "Why is an art teacher teaching English?" you ask: because she's allowed to in this ESL program, that's why. They'll get a place to stay and all of their basics taken care of so they'll be nicely set for the next year. I lose them from my soccer team though, so that kinda sucks.

In the wake of all of this, my brother had to go out of town for business last week and I again took care of his animals. But this time I "took care of them" in the mafia sense of the phrase.The filter on his fish tank stopped working and at least three fish died. Every time I stopped by there was another sinker &/or floater to deal w/. I'm surprised more didn't die due to the deathly fish that were in the water. I feel horrible about it, but at least Jackie Gleason and Burt Reynolds made it through alright. And due to the circumstances under which they died, I'm going to keep on blaming the filter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The power went out so the filter stopped. When the filter stops it needs to be filled with water and then manually restarted by sticking your finger into the little fan. Well over three fish were "taken care of".