Friday, February 16, 2007

I ain't broke...

...But honey I'm badly bent.

The kids had a day off school today for mid-winter break (as if all of the snow/cold days recently weren't enough) so I took them out to breakfast and then sledding. Being the total douchebag I am, I attempted going down the hill standing on the sled. Well, surprise, surprise, I wiped out and nearly broke my arm. I say nearly because I haven't actually had it x-rayed like I should. It very well could be more that just nearly broken, but that remains to be seen. I'll tell you what though; it hurts like a mother fucker. The kids had fun until Solstice fell out of her sled and smacked her face on the ground. At least Aiden didn't get hurt. While looking for an mp3 of "I ain't Broke" by Old and In the Way (which wasn't to be found), I did find a page that has mp3 s of the entire 7 disc Dylan and the Dead rehearsals. I've been looking for them for 5 or 6 years. There's a really cool version of Paul Simon's "Boy in a Bubble" w/ Bobby, Jerry and Dylan sharing the lead vocals. I heard rumors that Jerry and Dylan both play banjo on this song, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Jerry's lead and Dylan's acoustic are both pretty clear. In the end though, the Old and in the Way stuff was not to be found. For fun, here's the link to the rehearsals. There's a nice "John Hardy" w/ some funny banter between Jerry and Bobby as they can't seem to remember the lyrics and Dylan doesn't seem to care one way or the other. It also includes a fun "Oh Boy." To those of you who don't like Buddy Holly, well that's just too bad, cuz it's my blog god-damn't! This version of "oh Boy" is really enthusiastic. It seems like they'dd been waiting a long time to get the chance to play it.Here's a little fun fact about Buddy Holly, the Crickets were the first band to have the standard rock n roll format of 2 guitars, a bass and a drummer. Now, I'm out to see Gerry at Bombadill's and then Whitey Morgan at Outriggers. Maybe I can drink away the pain in my shoulder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that Waylon Jennings was in Buddy Holly's band? Now they're both dead.

Your blog of only a short time already has an impressive catalog of your painful injuries. Maybe you should see if Wendy can hook you up with some armor or you could get a specially-made inflatable suit to wear around. Get an x-ray first, though.

Andre said...

I supppose you're right; there are a few pain stories alrady. Maybe I need to take it easy for a while.