Friday, December 7, 2007

Holiday Post #7: All I Want for X-Mas...

Shin Guards?
My kids have been bugging me to let them sleep w/ me for about a week now, so finally, last night, after 10 minutes of whining & begging, I told them to get their pillows & blankets & get to sleep. of course, I was planning to stay up for 4 more hours grading & finishing The Color Purple so they weren't even going to realize they were sleeping w/ me by the time I went to bed. When I did finally push them over a bit in a sorry attempt to make a little room for myself, my daughter decided that spending the next 10 minutes kicking me in the shins would be a good idea. I actually considered sleeping in my shin guards, but, of course, they are cracked & I didn't want the crack to scape her foot. When I eventually got her to stop, he poked me in the esophagus w/ her index finger 7 then as I bent down in pain, she punched me on the top of my head. It was like some fucked up 3 Stooges routine. The crack in th shin guard coupled w/ the hole in the toe of my boots suggests that I need to be completely re-equipped for the spring season.Movies?
A few films are coming out soon (or have come out recently) that I think I might want to see.
1) The Bourne Ultimatum: I liked the 1st 2 films in this series & after just watching the Ebert & Roeper review, I suppose I need to see the new one too.
2) Ocean's 13: I really like the 1st 1 & the 2nd is quite the guilty pleasure, so I'm going to need to see the new one pretty soon.
3) Suddenly, Last Summer: By far my favorite Tennessee Williams' film. There's seems to be some new DVD edition out, but I haven't been able to find much info about it.
4) Flash Gordon: The Saviour of the Universe Edition: I can't believe I still haven't gotten this. After 27 years of waiting for the perfect copy of this film, this new edition is the best they've come up w/ so far. I haven't heard many good things about the extras, but a newly cleaned up print w/ that great music... awesome.

A new Wooden Cutting Board?
I was cleaning my a few weeks ago & as I set it in the sink to dry, it cracked in half. I don't know why it happened, but I'm now stuck using a cutting board that's only about 6" across. It's ok for slicing cheese, but onions & garlic are a bit rough & lettuce is really hard because the head is bigger than the board upon which it must sit.Wool Socks?
I always get these, along w/ a sweater, from my mom so this is the most likely of the gifts on the list, but I've worn through a few pairs lately & could really use some new one. I know that wanting socks for X-mas kind of goes against the tradition of disdaining the sock-gift, but I don't care. They're practical & my feet get cold @ night.And now... a new tradition on my blog... the holiday song, a peppy little rockabilly number somewhere between Brian Setzer & Chuck Berry:

All I Want for Christmas is Cash

The snow is falling
And the wind is rushing fast
The snow is falling
And the wind is rushing fast
My bills are mounting:
And all I want for Christmas is cash

Cookies in the oven
And presents underneath the tree
Cookies in the oven
And presents underneath the tree
But with all these presents
I can’t afford to eat

The snow is falling
And the wind is rushing fast
The snow is falling
And the wind is rushing fast
My bills are mounting:
And all I want for Christmas is cash

Santa’s on the corner
And lights up on my house
Santa’s on the corner
And lights up on my house
But nobody’s eating
Not even the mouse

The snow is falling
And the wind is rushing fast
The snow is falling
And the wind is rushing fast
My bills are mounting:
And all I want for Christmas is cash

I don’t want no hippo
And I got my two front teeth
I don’t want no hippo
And I got my two front teeth
But what’s the point?
Ain’t had no food for weeks

The snow is falling
And the wind is rushing fast
The snow is falling
And the wind is rushing fast
My bills are mounting:
And all I want for Christmas is cash

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This is not a pipe.

Liz Peltier Moyer said...

I taught her everything she knows.

Andre said...

I knew you'd like that.

Ypsipearl said...

You chop lettuce? Interesting, I just tear it. Maybe if I chopped it instead I would get it small enough so that I wasn't bitchslapped with too-big dressing-covered salad pieces.

There's just nothing better than good wool socks for toasty feet.

Daye said...

a. sleep on the couch (yer a good daddy)
b. get a floppy plastic cutting board they rock
c. woolly socks are the shit. I heart your mom.

Andre said...

I don't like those plastic ones... I need a nice wooden cutting board. As far as the couch goes... I considered it.