Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Most Famous Cup Competition in the World or Suck it Stanley Cup Fans!

Last night saw the beginning of Round 4 of the FA Cup as Derby County & Nottingham Forest drew 1-1 forcing a replay @ Forest next week. The lion's share of the matches take place today though w/ a few final 4th Round games tomorrow. As I type this, West Ham are playing away to League 1 side Hartlepool & Hartlepool are actually giving them quite a game (well... as I'm about to publish theis, West Ham is suddenly up 2-0). Then @ 10:00 Millwall will be @ Hull, Blackburn go to Sunderland, Sheffiled U host Charlton, last year's champions Portsmouth are home to Swansea, Ipswitch travel to Chelsea... an Ipswich victory isn't really on the cards, but it's be a welcome one none the less. There are also matches like Villa @ Doncaster, Burnley @ West Brom, Coventry @ non-league Torquay United, Kettering Town host Fulham, Watford host C. Palace, & Wolves play host to Boro. Then @ 12:15, Man U host Tottenham, a preview of what's to come in The League Cup final next month. Of course, tomorrow last year's runners-up, Cardiff, the only non-English team that I know of in the English Football Associating, host Arsenal (a match which could feature Aaron Ramsey, Arsenal's 18 year old Welshman play against his former club) before Everton have to travel all the way to the other side of town to meet Liverpool for the 2nd time this week.I love FA Cup weekends. I love watching the bigger teams field their fringe players; I love watching smaller clubs knock out the bigger ones; I love seeing the tiny stadia of clubs like Forest Green Rovers who barely lost to Derby last month @ The New Lawn, a stadium w/ an average attendance of 800 people... I feel as though my team could round up 800 random people if we were playing a big team. Maybe we'll start calling ourselves The Forest Green Team rather than the Dark Green Team.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

Go Forest Green Rovers!!

Anonymous said...

The most famous cup competition in the world? It's not even the most famous cup competition in soccer. I know you've heard of something called the World Cup. I'm not sure if it's a competition or not, but 2 Girls, 1 Cup is probably more famous too.

Andre said...

Yeah, I guess they must mean the most famous Club cup Competition.

I doubt 2 Girls and a Cup is quite as well know around the world though... and I think it's best that way.

Anonymous said...

I bet you more americans know about the stanley cup than the fa cup. Also, why the negativity about hockey? Its a good sport and the playoffs are fun to watch. What's your beef?

Andre said...

I'm sure more Amricans know about the SC. No beef... just joking.

Anonymous said...

So you make a comment about hockey and don't have the pebbles to back it up.

Andre said...

To back what up? A bunch of toothless guys punching eachother in the shoulderpads? There isn't a whole lot to discuss one way or the other.