Thursday, May 22, 2008

Indiana Jones Post #2: Leonard Nimoy

The release of the new Indiana Jones film has created a sort of mass hysteria surrounding these crystal skulls. Even Archeology Today, the pop-archeology mag has jumped on the band wagon, so I suppose I shouldn't have been too surprised by The Sci/Fi Channel's absurd documentary the other night. For 2 hours, I let myself get suckered into this crap. I was hoping for some historical info, yet the fact as presented by some Archaeologist (to whom we will refer as Dr. ___), were only given about 2 minutes towards the end. The rest was dedicated to this asshat who had married the 80 year old daughter of the dude who led the expedition during which the 1st skull was supposedly found. In fact, the daughter was the person who supposedly found it. (Dr. ___ made it pretty clear that the whole thing was nonsense, but with only a few minutes for her to speak, she was easily forgotten.) Asshat (who also runs a Karate school in Indiana) believes he can sense the presence of the skulls so he's searching the world for the remaining few. It was basically an episode of In Search Of w/o the star power of Leonard Nimoy. Some people believe that some Mayan prophecy suggests the world will in in April of 2012 & that the 13 skulls need to be brought together in order to save us. (In which case, I think we could have used more than 4 years notice to get looking for the rest.) Others believe that they were made by aliens, going so far as to suggest the Moon was an ancient outpost & one of the skulls in on the Moon (& can be seen in a NASA photo.) All of these people (save Dr. ____) agree that the skulls "could be, possibly, up to 75,000 years old." I can't believe I watched this shit. But, I guess w/ the new film opening today, I shouldn't be too surprised.

6 comments:

Happy Housewife said...

NPR had a story about these yesterday. They said they were actually made as art but weren't selling. The man that had them then decided to call them artifacts to see if they might sell better.
Or something like that!

Andre said...

Yeah, the article in Archeology Today was much better. It said basically the ame thing. He basically swindled a lot of people. In fact, he's the same dude who brought back the statue the idol at in the begining of Raiders is based on. It's a fertility idol that uses a birthing possition that wasn't represented in artwork in the Americas until the 19th century.

peltierinator said...

I can believe you watched it. We used to watch that shit all the time, remember Dad always getting annoyed at us because we wouldn't change the channel.

Andre said...

Yeah. He always hated that shit. In my older years, I can now understand why. It's kinda ridiculous. Although, if I remember correctly, it was more you than us.

Anonymous said...

I can believe you watched it too, I just can't believe I sat through it!! :)

Happy Housewife said...

Yo, that Ebay thing has a button underneath it that says "get this Widget". Try that.
I think I typed "Ebay Widget" into google and found it that way.