Saturday, June 27, 2009

What is this salty discharge leaking from my eyes?

I finished The Shadow of the Wind this morning & I actually brought a few tears to mine eyes. I've never squeezed 'em out over a book before so it was a strange feeling. As I manned up & realized it was ridiculous, I got to wondering a) why fictional stories make people cry so often b) why I'd never been effected that way before, & c) what it was about this particular book that did it to me. i said it last week & I'll say it now... read it! After finishing it this morning, I started The Moon Pool, a Sci/Fi book 1st published in 1919 by A. Merritt. it's another 1 from the Lostpedia book list. I know I'm a nerd, but it seems pretty cool so far.
In other Sci/Fi news, before we get to the Player of the Day Award, I'm watching a ridiculous Zsa Zsa Gabor film from 1958 called Queen of Outer Space. It's certainly calling out for some MST3K commentary, but I'm enjoying the Hell out of it none-the-less. A rocket ship get thrown off course when it's destination, a space station orbiting Earth is destroyed by a beam from Venus. They end up there only to find it's ruled by women. And as the crew well understands that women can barely drive cars, they must come to accept that these women are armed & dangerous... & fucking nuts!

While I nearly cried over a book, Jason was on the verge of losing his shit when Brasil barely squeaked by S. Africa on Thursday in the 2nd Confederations Cup Semi-Final. Not until the 82nd minute substitute found the back of the net in the 88th minute did they put forth anything noteworthy at all. I sort of forgot to watch the match as I was in the throws of getting my license plate tags renewed the day before my big 35th, so I had to defer to Jason for the Player of the Day. He claimed that no one really did anything good @ all throughout the match so only the 88th minute savior deserved recognition. That said, your Visions of Ypsi Confederations Cup Player of the Day is Barcelona right back, >Dani Alvez. His fantastic free kicked moved the Brasilians into the finals where they will face the USA tomorrow afternoon. B sure to check it out.

No comments: