Tuesday, August 21, 2007

You Can All Join In

I haven't done this in a while, but since Steve was nice enough to hook me up w/ a ticket to Dave Mason on Saturday, I wanted to give him a little shout out. Why Dave Mason plays Brighton High School, I have no idea, but he rocked. He only played for an hour & a half, but that 90 minutes was sweet. Having been a huge Traffic fan for ages, I was so excited & he didn't let me down. His set list was, I'm sure, the same list he plays for every show, but "40,000 Headmen," "Dear Mr. Fantasy," "Shouldn't Have Took More than You Gave," "Feelin' Alright," "Only You Know and I Know," "All Along the Watchtower," & (if I remember correctly) "Pearly Queen," were great. Some of his more recent songs are a bit weak though, like this country love tune, "Every Woman," which seemed to be a crowd favorite, but it just grated on me. The lyrics are soooo fucking cheesy and cliche. All in all, however, it was a great time. I wish I could have seen Steve Winwood when he came through town a couple years ago though; my love of Traffic stems from him, but Mason is definitely cool as Hell. See him if you get the chance. Not only was his performance spot-on, but apparently, he's also making the guitars and basses hey are using... other than the Fender he used for a few songs. And, as I learned from Steve & Dave the other night, he played on Beggars Banquet & Hendrix's version of "Watchtower." Pretty sweet!

No comments: