Saturday, June 9, 2007

Fucking Hippies & Fucking Mets Fans

Hair was fantastic! While I was excited to see Brook, I didn't know what to expect in terms of the production itself. Bearing in mind that community theater can often run the gambit from great to shit, one never knows. Not to mention the fact that it's about a bunch of singing hippies (in general, I liked that more when it was called The Grateful Dead). Community theater + singing hippies could really suck, but they pulled it off well. I didn't remember the characters very well, so I was surprised when I realized what a big role Brook had. Her character, Jeanie, is preggers from some one night stand w/ (from what I could gather) some speed freak, but she was in love w/ Claude, the main character who ends up unable to avoid the draft & dieing in Viet Nam. Although she did a great job, I was a bit confused by a few of her lines. At one point, she was talking about how it didn't matter what drugs she did while knocked up & then took a hit off of a joint. It seemed sarcastic and as if the writers were making some tougne-in-cheek anti-drug statement @ that point. This is obviously not a problem w/ Brook's performance, but rather just w/ the writing. Anther probelm I had w/ the writing came in the form of a cheesy little joke. While they're all sitting around getting stoned, some super-cute hippie chick says, "As Mary Magdalene said, 'Jesus, I'm getting stoned.'" A cute little joke, except from what I remember, she never got stoned. Why they used her name and not the name of a saint who was actually stoned to death, I don't know. From what I can remember, there is no Biblical story about her death. Then again, I'm basing this on info from high school, so I could be wrong. Even if I am wrong about Mary Magdalene, I'm certainly right about Brook's performance. Kudos to you Brook... very well done.
Not quite so well done was the Tigers' hitting last night. My brother & my brother-in-law bought tickets to a World Series game that didn't end up happening & rather than just getting a refund, they got some huge ticket package for this season... every Friday night game & a bunch of games earlier in the week. Well, my brother couldn't go yesterday so I took his ticket and went down there w/ Dan. Their seats are right behind the bull pen so we got to yell at Guillermo Mota the whole time about the fact that he just returned from a 50 game suspension due to Steroid use. "With all that juice in your veins, you should be throwing it faster than that you fucking cheater!" Dan also gave Billy Wagner some shit over the fact that he goes by Billy which was ironic because Dan's father always calls him Danny. We also got to have a little fun @ the expense of some kid in front of us in a David Wright t-shirt, but he had the last laugh as Dan was giving him shit while Wright stepped to the plate and proceeded to hit a home run. The kid, Rocco, claimed to have just graduated from Boston College & was spending his summer following the Mets around. I told him that it'd be a really sweet vacation if only he was following a cooler team. In the end, the Mets won 3-0, I drank 2 beers @ a bar before we left, one @ the Elwood across the street, 2 during the game, & 3 more @ the Elwood after the game. The beer at the Elwood before the game was warm & skunked though and the first beer we ordered inside was a Bud but the guy gave us Bud lights, which I learned if you really suck on it and let it evaporate a bit, almost have flavor. Aside from the loss, the only downside to the game was the fact that my Tiger didn't play.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who's your Tiger?
Mine is Magglio Ordonez. I even got a sweet shirt with just his face on the front and the number 30 on the back.

Anonymous said...

Todd Jones... I love his handle bar moustache.

Anonymous said...

Brooke was awesome, definitely in her element on stage. They should have all let their hair get dirtier for their performances, though. I was bothered by the glossy hair. Not '60s hippie-like at all.

Speaking of performances, how about those Panthers? They had somewhat of a Bad News Bears-like season, even though they never won there was vast improvement over the weeks. Nice job, Coach Andre! And all season you restrained yourself from screaming obscenities at the opposing teams, which must have been difficult for you. I mean, they're only 7 and 8 years old, but still.

Andre said...

The Panthers definitely played well. Watching them improve over the last 2 months has been so great. I can't wait until the fall so we can do it again.

Zoe the Wonder Dog said...

Somebody better remind me when it comes time to sign up for fall. My little people want to play!