Monday, October 8, 2007

Cannibal: The Musical

A couple weeks ago, I was approached by a former student who asked me to be the Faculty Advisor for his new student group, a theater company hoping to produce a live version of Trey Parker's Cannibal: The Musical. My 1st thought was that someone from the Theater Dept. would make more sense, but it turns out that since the play would be competing w/ actual Theater Dept. productions, it is a conflict of interest so he needed someone else. Considering the fact that I'd seen this guy in a production of Picasso at the Lapin Agile in Howell w/ my ex's nephew a year & a half ago (& he was really good), I figured I'd do it. Well, we had our 1st meeting tonight & it turns out that they needed me to cover a couple roles... I haven't acted since grade school, but they're small roles w/ only 1 song, so it should be alright. You read that right... I have to sing!!! That said, the song I have to sing is "Dixie," sung by a 1 eyed veteran of the Confederate army as I shoot pus out of my eye at the other characters. If they can find a taller person to play the role of the cyclops, I won't have to do it, but I'll still play the father who doesn't want his son to leave home until after the next harvest... just like Uncle Owen! The performances will be the last weekend in Jan. & the 1st weekend in Feb. at Roosevelt Hall. Be sure to check it out!
O, I wish I was in the land of cotton
Old times there are not forgotten
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dixie Land.

In Dixie Land where I was born in
Early on one frosty mornin'
Look away! Look away!
Look away! Dixie Land.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man...how tall is Andrew McCarthy? Maybe he's available.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if he's tall enough or if he'd allow himself to be dragged away from a cameo on Law and Order or Weeds or CSI or whatever show he's appearing on this fall.

Anonymous said...

His career sounds pretty good now, compared to the roles that you're getting.

I wonder what you'll use as fake pus.

Anonymous said...

Using the Stanislavski method, I plan to develop a real infection in my tear duct and shoot real pus out of it.

Anonymous said...

Your commitment to your art is admirable. I can see that you are bound and determined to get yourself a real, pussy infection.

Unknown said...

When are they putting on the show? I'd love to see it. And I love they are competing with the tame fare offered by EMU's theatre dept.

Anonymous said...

Good thing you've had some singing practice with "Like a Virgin" recently. Maybe you can go out for Garyoake and get some lessons.

Your sis wants to know what the likelihood of getting a mid August encore is?